Question - minimum distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question - minimum distance

Okay, what is the minimum distance a 3D target can be set...by ASA Rules?

Reason I'm asking is because some one said he found 3 yards the minimum distance to set a 3D target

Comment

Maybe no one knows the answer?

Comment

Tell them to show it to you. Because there’s no minimum listed in the rules that I can find.

Comment

Closer the better.

Comment

Not if you are the last shooter.

Comment

What I was wonder of was safety. Bounce outs for one and then weaker spine arrows busting. I tried a more than IBO or ATA legal arrow out of my bow, 294 fps, at 10 yards and the arrow shattered, still together, right at the target surface.

Comment

I did a quick scan of the rule and didn't find anything about minimum distances.

Were you shooting the target at a downward angle? Was the weather cold?

The reason I ask is I have shot targets 5 yards and less and never had an issue like you describe, however I've never shot targets that close in the cold. The other day it was in the teens (cold for Alabama) and had an 2 arrows break as I pulled them from a McKenzie target. The arrows were were shot at 50 yards at close to 290 fps.

Comment

Robert, weather was nice. The target stop was a Pacific Bale and the legal arrow was a Pro 150, .500" spine

Comment

Interesting.

Now I know I have shot a Pacific Bale at very close range at a pro shop when paper tuning and didn't have an issue. However I shot Lightspeed 400's out of a 70 pound bow so maybe the .400 spine arrows I have might be a little more durable. Don't know.

The only issue I've had was like 3rdplace said, being the last person in a 4 or 5 person group to shot a close target. Also the first shooter's arrows normally take a pounding too.

But as far as a minimum distance, I couldn't find one in the rules.

Comment

Working...
                    X