Known Division Speed Limit Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Known Division Speed Limit Question?

Why is there a speed limit for the known distance divisions? I can understand a speed limit for the unknown distance divisions since more speed would flatten the arrow's trajectory thereby making yardage judging error less costly. However with the distance to the target being known, I wouldn't think that speed would be an advantage.

I'm not complaining about the speed limit, just wanting clarification for my own edification.

I've heard in the past that in part it is a concern for the targets and the potential damage higher speed arrows might inflict. Something else I herd is sheep.

Comment

Well in some places if you have more than 4 sheep you're considered a pimp.

Ok, so it's not an effort to "level the playing field", but rather trying to save targets. I can kinda see that since a higher velocity arrow would have more kinetic energy if the arrows are the same weight. However, I would submit that's not the case and there won't be much difference.

First let's look at the formula for kinetic energy with is (Mass * Velocity^2) /450,435. Now let's take my setup shooting a 381 grain (mass) arrow at 301 feet per second (velocity). That would yield 76.63477 foot-pounds of kinetic energy. Now let's add 100 grains of arrow weight (381+100=481 on most days and Sundays). The added weight will reduce the velocity of the arrow assuming we do nothing to the bow system other than add weight to the arrow. In my case this dropped my velocity from 301 fps to 268 fps. So if we do the math (481*268^2)/450,435 we get 76.69773 foot-pounds of kinetic energy. 76.63477 foot-pounds and 76.69773 foot-pounds, ain't much difference. So what am I missing?

The Rob will probably get banned for talking "nerdy" on here.

Comment

Working...
      X