Serious Discussion Thread --- Point of Aim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Discussion Thread --- Point of Aim

Just recently I received an e-mail from a fellow shooter asking "what my position was on "point of aim". His question pertained to "what is the best way to aim at a target --- do you hold your pin at "6 o'clock", or hold your pin "right on" ??? He is using a "6 o'clock hold".

Here is my take on it:

MANY years ago when I could still see good, I competed in long range handgun shooting with "iron sights" at distances of 50 meters, 100 meters, 150 meters, and 200 meters I used a "6 o'clock hold". Reason being, that any other way my sight blade would be covering up the target I was shooting at.

HOWEVER, in shooting 3D, I always hold my pin "right on" where I want to hit. Reason being, the sight pin is small enough, and the distances are much shorter that we are shooting at, that I can do it that way. Also, if one were to use a "6 o'clock hold", that would necessitate setting your sight "hot", that ultimately could cause problems regarding "forgetting about setting it hot".

Just curious, as to "how you do it", and I will advise him accordingly.

Right on the spot

Comment

Is 200 meters really considered long range handgun shooting for one such yourself? Me, I can't use a 6 oclock hold as that's one of my nap times, and it puts me to sleep, also have the same problem at 4 oclock.

Comment

Originally posted by Elkhunter View Post
        shooting 3D, I always hold my pin "right on" where I want to hit. Reason being, the sight pin is small enough, and the distances are much shorter that we are shooting at, that I can do it that way.
        For 3D other reason I can hold on is because there ain't no dang circle to stay in

Comment

I attempt to hold on the center. To expand on that, I focus on the "spot" without focusing on the sight pin.

Comment

Well ya know....... I start with it right on the spot, then its left, top, below, rear end, daylight, back to the spot, low, high, left, right....sometimes circles, some times amoeba type shapes all around where I plan to shoot.

Comment

Garceau ---- you sound like yer shootin "circle flies" !!!

Comment

When my pin looks to be starting across the target in any direction, I close both eyes and jerk the trigger quick, before it has a chance to drift. My point of aim depends on which direction the target is. Thats the direction I point my arrow.

Comment

Working...
                X