Known Yardage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Known Yardage

The issue of expanding known yardage in ASA has cropped up on Archery Talk...again.

I am not a good judge of distance, but I'd hate to see it in Senior Master.

IMO there are various organizations that provide known yardage, and those who seem to want the 3D events to provide them a ready made attendance don't seem to want to even attend those other events. Maybe they think it would be another path to take the easy way to the podium. Seems to me they don't want to shoot 3d, but would like to be included in the 3D events, hoping their spot shooting skills will increase their chances by getting to shoot against the 3d shooters without having to compete by the 3d rules. I'm hoping that the 3D organizations can see through all this and will stay with what has grown their events, and has provided them the following that continues to grow.
    The old saying that mixing muddy water with clean water will just provide more muddy water, is how I view mixing 3d archery with target archery to just produce more target archery. I'm one who wants to shoot 3D and if it includes learning to judge yardage, then I'll do my best and not try to get them to let me have a marked yardage class of my own but call it 3D archery. I just don't think kown yardage is 3D and ever was. But this is just my opinion, and we all know about opinions.
    Last edited by C.Roberts; 05-26-2015, 03:11 PM. Reason: Spelling.

Comment

You hit the nail right on the head Clawedster !!! --- Known yardage never was 3D, ain't now, n' never will be !!!

Comment

I appreciate ASA listening to the voice of the shooters. Having said that, I would hate to see known push unknown out of the picture as happened to the unlimited pro class.

Comment

This subject has been beat to death in the past ........................... AMEN !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Elkhunter View Post
            This subject has been beat to death in the past ........................... AMEN !!!

Check and you'll see that there is a meeting at London to discuss the future of known 50 as a possible pro class...so apparently somebody forgot to put a stake through its heart.

Comment

Ain't got nuthin ta do with are class.

Comment

Ain't got nuthin ta do with are class.
                Not yet maybe.

Comment

NOPE, NOPE, n' NOPE !!!

Comment

Hate to say it but youse guys are showing your age. If you're shooting at a 3D target what the heck makes the difference whether you know the yardage or are guessing the yardage? If you are good at judging, then guess what, you are shooting KNOWN yardage. Daaaah! If you are not that good at judging then you are shooting like me! Point and hope! ................... 3D is changing and the known yardage classes are growing. I loved it when we were judging one day and shooting known the next. The vote to discontinue the known on the next day was if my memory is correct was 60-40. That was several years ago and I bet it would be a little closer if another vote was taken now. That being said though us geezers do have an affliction for being set in our ways!

Comment

Originally posted by jacoserv View Post
                      Hate to say it but youse guys are showing your age. If you're shooting at a 3D target what the heck makes the difference whether you know the yardage or are guessing the yardage? If you are good at judging, then guess what, you are shooting KNOWN yardage. Daaaah! If you are not that good at judging then you are shooting like me! Point and hope! ................... 3D is changing and the known yardage classes are growing. I loved it when we were judging one day and shooting known the next. The vote to discontinue the known on the next day was if my memory is correct was 60-40. That was several years ago and I bet it would be a little closer if another vote was taken now. That being said though us geezers do have an affliction for being set in our ways!
                      Been showing my age since showing my proof of age was required, so I've grown use to that. Only difference, in my opinion, is that 3d archery includes a requirernent that the contestant has to determine their own yardage. Agreeing with you that 3D is changing as people are not wanting to practice judging distance, but still want to win a 3D tournament. Just one of my opinions, but I also feel that people are changing as they get lazy, and want to do away with 3D requirements, or the other things that requires any effort. Since we americans seem to be getting overweight, I realize that walking through the woods does not make for an equal playing field for those larger shooters. Maybe taking it indoors where air conditioning, and heat is available would level the playing field tor them. Some who can't practice judging yardage or even attend events due to other obligations. but are not lazy. sure would like to be able to level the playing field to allow them to shoot at home. What about those who feel that the thoughts of shooting animals really is against their liking, but really want to be included in archery competetion? Seems that removing the animals might grow the sport by including those animal lovers with their own 3D class? Guess we could grow the sport if we could all compete in 3D from our keyboard?
                      Yes, as a member of the geezer nation, I do suffer from that affliction when it comes not wanting to change 3D if it's just for the benefit of those who are never satisfied by having to follow the rules, or those who are always full of advice.Oh yes and (as Columbo would say) One more thing. Maybe being younger than you, and shorter than you, could be the reason I still will continue looking up to you and usually agreeing with your opinions. (lol)
                      Last edited by C.Roberts; 05-25-2015, 06:55 AM.

Comment

The vote was 56 against known, and 9 for, as I remember, and that "56" number didn't even include all those that quit going because of it --- roughly 10 others --- myself included.

Comment

PS: Those were the numbers for the Super Senior Class at that time. The Senior Class was also highly against it, but do not remember the numbers for that class.

Comment

PS: Those were the numbers for the Super Senior Class at that time. The Senior Class was also highly against it, but do not remember the numbers for that class.
                            Well good for you, Elkie! I'm not going to argue about something that is being called from memory, yours or mine. Seems you are all missing my point. Everyone wants to shoot the target at the correct yardage otherwise why would you be judging in the first place? Now that being said, there are some people who have a distinct advantage when it comes to judging. The wider your pupils are apart the better you will be at judging. This is very simple logic and physics. I'm not going into a long disertation to explain here. If you don't understand see me sometime and I will explain. Fact is the wider your pupils the better you will judge distance. ........... So now consider this, if all folks shooting ability was the same then the winner would always be he who judges best. He who judges best will always be the shooter with the wider eyeballs. If he who judges best is always going to win then why shoot any arrows?? Lets just walk out, judge the targets, write down the distance on a piece of paper, and then add them up at the clubhouse. There's no reason to shoot arrows! Since we all do want to shoot our arrows then just consider the following facts.

There are 3 facts that we know.
                            1. Every archer wants to shoot the target at the correct yardage. (otherwise you would not be judging)
                            2. All archers do not have the same shooting ability.
                            3. Those with wide eyeballs have a distinct advantage to judge distance.

Why give the folks with the wide eyeballs the advantage. If we shoot known yardage then it should be only the archers ability to shoot an arrow that will determine a winner. If we are judging and then shooting we are not only testing our shooting ability but we are also testing ourselves against those with a distinct yardage judging advantage.

I was never an "A" student at composition but hopefully I've made my opinion a little clearer.

Comment

Ahh... Now i understand why those who always win seem to have the big head. Didn't realize that they had it already, due to the wider distance between their eyeballs, and I was thinking it was because of their ability to beat everyone at shooting. Also explains why my narrow mind doesn't make for good distance judging, nor does it provide much distance between my ears...err.. I mean eyes.

Carlosii does now have the advantage, being a retired teacher, his pupils will continue to get farther apart.
                              Last edited by C.Roberts; 05-26-2015, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X