No announcement yet.

Senior Open Range Assignment at this years Florida Pro/Am and the Target Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senior Open Range Assignment at this years Florida Pro/Am and the Target Bags

We has a great time at the Florida Pro/AM!!!

For whatever the reason there seems to be a trend to have the Senior Open class participants walk the farthest to their range assignments! This was the case in Florida with the Seniors shooting "D" range which was at the end of the road. As the recipient of a full knee replacement myself and looking at some of the other folks making the same walk I have to wonder if the range assignments are really well thought out with consideration of the group shooting that range? The K-45 class shot the "D" range on Sunday and some young folks in that class fussed about how far the walk was as they passed me on the "C" range.

At the last Pro/Am in Metropolis the Saturday range assignments has the Senior Open class walking to the very end of the road for the farthest range! Duh! Really? This just doesn't make a lot of sense to me because let's face it some of us are bound to have some limitations in this age group and beyond.

The target bags are a place that could sure use some form of organization! We know the problem, what's the solution? More bags? A rangemaster? With the behavior exhibited by a few individuals at the practice bags I'm really surprised there hasn't been a really ugly altercation! People stepping up to the 20 yd bag and shooting at the 40 yd and 50 yd bags and with no concern for fellow shooters!

Originally posted by JustJerry View Post
    We has a great time at the Florida Pro/AM!!!

For whatever the reason there seems to be a trend to have the Senior Open class participants walk the farthest to their range assignments! This was the case in Florida with the Seniors shooting "D" range which was at the end of the road. As the recipient of a full knee replacement myself and looking at some of the other folks making the same walk I have to wonder if the range assignments are really well thought out with consideration of the group shooting that range? The K-45 class shot the "D" range on Sunday and some young folks in that class fussed about how far the walk was as they passed me on the "C" range.

At the last Pro/Am in Metropolis the Saturday range assignments has the Senior Open class walking to the very end of the road for the farthest range! Duh! Really? This just doesn't make a lot of sense to me because let's face it some of us are bound to have some limitations in this age group and beyond.

The target bags are a place that could sure use some form of organization! We know the problem, what's the solution? More bags? A rangemaster? With the behavior exhibited by a few individuals at the practice bags I'm really surprised there hasn't been a really ugly altercation! People stepping up to the 20 yd bag and shooting at the 40 yd and 50 yd bags and with no concern for fellow shooters!
    maybe assigned times for shooting the bags? put in your request for time and which distance bag or bags you want to shoot....probably wouldn't work...never mind.

Comment

Just Jerry --- I understand your problem about physical disabilities, and distances you have to travel to your assigned range --- I have been there/done that before (had my share of them) --- here is your solution --- The ASA people are very understanding when you have a problem "navigating" to a distant range, and believe me "they step up to the plate", and will see to it, that you get a lift from a range official, or someone else with a cart to get you out there. All you have to do is contact Mike, or a range official, and they will see to it that you get some assistance.

Jeepers --- another serious post from me --- WOW !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Elkhunter View Post
        Just Jerry --- I understand your problem about physical disabilities, and distances you have to travel to your assigned range --- I have been there/done that before (had my share of them) --- here is your solution --- The ASA people are very understanding when you have a problem "navigating" to a distant range, and believe me "they step up to the plate", and will see to it, that you get a lift from a range official, or someone else with a cart to get you out there. All you have to do is contact Mike, or a range official, and they will see to it that you get some assistance.

Jeepers --- another serious post from me --- WOW !!!
        Elkhunter,

Thank you for your concern! Perhaps I did not articulate my point very well, I really wasn't posting about myself, as much as it was an observation about the irony of the seniors having to walk the farthest to their range assignment and did anyone else see it this way.

Comment

I do think they try to consider the Geezer and Junior Geezer classes when making range assignments.

Comment

Sometimes the ranges will not allow the older people to shoot the close ranges because of distant they have to set targets not saying that was the case this time but I know they were short some ranges because of the timber being cut so they were in a brain freeze trying to get every thing done .but I promise u they will look at this an do any thing to rectify the problem.

Comment

Actually you may have not known...but there was a shorter way into d range...but I truely understand your issues...I left way way before my start time....for to bring my heart rate down....and for being forgetful an leaving my bp meds at home on the counter when I left fri mornin

Comment

Owing to the fact that I am 62 years old and walked over 45 miles last week I sometimes forget that anyone under 60 thinks of themselves as a senior. Couple of quick notes:
                1 - We will try to be more aware of our "younger" seniors, but Elkhunter is right, our motto is "see a senior, give him a ride!"
                2 - Please disregard the incorrect information posted by "bhtr3d". The back route he refers to is unsafe and is not open during actual competition. Taking it would put you squarely behind targets being shot.
                3 - We will be trying some new lay-outs for the practice bags including setting up separate areas for the longer and shorter distances, and some smaller target set-ups to move people around.

Thanks for attending and keeping us aware of issues that we need to address.

Mike@ASA
                Last edited by Mike@ASA; 02-07-2014, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Mike,

While the walk was long it was not bad and someone had to have the last range (s). I prefer the long walk over a really short course if we had to make a choice. It seemed some of the closer ranges might not have had the lane length to set up the longer shots. It was also nice not having a range full of shooters walking past us once they finished their round.

All in all I thought everything was set up well and as usual you and the ASA crew did an outstanding job.

Comment

62 is lower middle age...74 next month and i think i'm pretty much smack dab in the middle of middle age...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike@ASA View Post
                      Owing to the fact that I am 62 years old and walked over 45 miles last week I sometimes forget that anyone under 60 thinks of themselves as a senior. Couple of quick notes:
                      1 - We will try to be more aware of our "younger" seniors, but Elkhunter is right, our motto is "see a senior, give him a ride!"
                      2 - Please disregard the incorrect information posted by "bhtr3d". The back route he refers to is unsafe and is not open during actual competition. Taking it would put you squarely behind targets being shot.
                      3 - We will be trying some new lay-outs for the practice bags including setting up separate areas for the longer and shorter distances, and some smaller target set-ups to move people around.

Thanks for attending and keeping us aware of issues that we need to address.

Mike@ASA

Part of my original concern that brought me to make this post was for a member in my group who was six months removed from a quadruple by-pass, and who appeared to be short of breath from the heat and humidity after the walk.

Mike, thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and respond! It means a lot to know that you and your staff are keeping your fingers on the pulse of events!

See you at Ft. Benning!

Jerry

Comment

Even though I do recognize, and do appreciate, the amount of work involved in ASA providing the archery community with the great Pro/Am events. I'm not very good at laying it on thick, when it comes to compliments and loads of sugar coated words of appreciation, but I'll certainly continue to show my thanks, from the bottom of my wallet.
                        Last edited by C.Roberts; 02-12-2014, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Oh Clawed, you are one sugar coating ol' teddy bear... Quit tryin' to sound so grumpy.

Comment

GRRRRRRRRRRRR --- UMP !!! I know, he misses shoveling alla that snow in Kentucky --- he just came South too early this year.

Comment

Clawed needs to read the message I sent him.

Comment

Working...
                              X