Shooting Indoors Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting Indoors Now

i know that folks in the warmer climates don't have any need or desire to shoot indoors (other than people like GRIV who do it for a living). but what about folks in the chilly zones. anybody started indoors yet or are you all wasting your time chasing whitetails?

Well, I'm not in the warmer climate yet, am going to spend Christmas here before starting my Florida spring training. Do have a 20 yard target set up on the back porch, but the cold wind seems to run me back inside whenever I try to get in a little practice shooting. Old bones and joints just wants to do nothing but soak up the good old wood heat. Guess a little laziness probably has something to do with that. Wish there was an indoor range nearby, but the nearest one is about 60 miles away, and driving also sort of tires me out. It's bad to be getting old and lazy, but as they say, Is sure beats the alternative.

Comment

I can't shoot indoors, cause the sound deafens me --- one time I tried shootin a cockroach runnin crossed the floor with my .340 Weatherby ---- oooooooooh, was that a mistake !!!

Comment

Think maybe for some of those south Georgia cockroaches, you might need at least a grenade. But then again, they might just toss it right back at you.

Comment

Regardless of my achievements in IAA indoor events and League action I do not like spot shooting. I did like the ASA DAIR events, but no one hosts them around here. I do take in some indoor 3Ds, both 40 mile drives.

Comment

Reason I don't like shooting spots is that it proves that I'm not nearly as good as I think I am. I'm convinced that I can surely hit an x every time at 20 yards, but it seems I'm always having to come up with an excuse as to why I miss at that close range. At least when I miss at longer shots, I don't feel so incompetent.

Comment

Yer better off shootin at 50yds fer practice, insteada them spot thangs, then them 20, 30, n' 40ydrs'll seem like chip shots. Y'all be amazed as to improvement in yer shooting y'all experience by practicin at longer distances. At first, let's just say, that you don't group that good, but in time y'all see improvements right along --- it takes lottsa patients, but pays off --- course it helps if yer a doctor cause they got lottsa patients.

We tried shootin them spots, but found out it gave us target panic --- holdin too long --- over-focusin, etc, and didn't really give us any practice fer 3D cause indoors there ain't no wind, etc.

Comment

Sonny, the DAIR never has caught on anywhere that I know of. Too bad too. There's a lot more to it than the 5 spot or vegas plus it has a team feature that I liked.

I guess there is a certain amount of reluctance to try anything new. Some people are more comfortable with the devil they know than one they don't know. I'm usually up for something new, provided it doesn't introduce some goofy, silly stuff. Things like shooting ping pong balls can be fun, but it shouldn't figure into scoring for an indoor tournament.

Comment

For not being popular I sure sold a lot of DAIR targets... Went through 200 when the shop held Qualifiers and Practice. Just got in a package of 100 this guys wants to buy.

Comment

Sonny, sure can't get anybody around here interested in anything other than vegas or 5 spot.

Comment

We ran 5 spot leagues and we had only two Illinois DAIR Qualifiers, but that Vegas face was not a option.
                      And the State Indoor FITA Championship uses the same target, just straight up and down, not the triangle thing.
                      I was practicing for the state Championship when my Shadowcat blew the bottom limb and how you came to have a Scepter V. Yeah, Martin could never make my Shadowcat come to specs.

Comment

Working...
                      X