Target or Pin? What's your focus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Target or Pin? What's your focus?

I hear people complain about not being able to keep their pin on the target. At the same time I hear other people suggest to "just let it float". So as an informal non-poll, where do you all come down on this? Do you find yourself frustrated if you're not able to keep the pin steady on the target, or are you one of those who let 'er float? Myself I think I do better if I kind of ignore the pin and focus on the target.

I'm with you Carlosii. I stare down the target and the pin finds it's way to the spot. I like to think of it like driving.....You go where you look. If you are focused on the pin, you will loose sight of the spot you are trying to hit.

Comment

When I was younger, stronger, and steadier, I used to hold my pin on wherever I wanted hit, squeeze off, and hit the spot. Just recently, as I got older, my sequence now is draw, anchor, put the pin where I want to hit, then let the pin float as I squeeze off, and hope I hit where I wanted to hit. I do think I would be able to float better if I would wear a life jacket.

Comment

Probably no one has as much problems focusing as I do. Left handed, left eye dominent and shooting right handed. And then my eyes, not they are 64 years old, but have been lop sided since I started wearing glasses in my early 40s. Top left is clear, top right has magnification, bottom left has 175 and bottom right has 150.

And I have had problems the last couple of years. Having come down with that Sugar disease it took some to get my vision back to somewhat normal. And then getting over anxiety (proper word?), wanting to shoot as good as I had usually done. I think I've got some of that back this past fall and spring (if you call you spring, Spring).

Spots R not for me, but I can drill them suckers when I want to. 3D is where it's at. Nice thing about 3D targets, there ain't no dang ring to stay in. Draw, anchor, center the pin in the peep and focus on the target and when the pin makes the picture let the shot happen. It worked at Presley's as I did put pressure on the high scoring shooter of the first bracket. He shot a 88 and I shot a 84. So two top scores of the bracket. It worked again this past weekend. First time at Black Diamond, 40 targets, and I nailed 385 of the 400 points available. Hey, three 10s on three consective Turkeys! Longest shot was 50 yards, more like 48, but my arrow found the big 10 ring and my arrows found the 10 ring on deer out to 45 yards.
        Each and every shot was made the same, focus on the target and let the pin make the picture.

If you can't focus or stay focused, then I'd suspect bow fit. Overall draw length, over bowed, hand to riser placement, wrong sight combination or whatever isn't letting it happen.

Comment

sonny if ya was smart....you'ld switch to shooting left handed just saying

Comment

Been shooting right handed since my recurve days, 10 thru 15. Darn bows won't fit my right hand.
            No joke, it feels horrible to shoot left handed. Eat, write, drink and shoot firearms all left handed. Bowl, throw a ball, and bat all right handed.
            Actual fact; Tried to go left handed. Wife even bought me a left handed bow when I wanted to start archery again.
            Odd as all get out and about the 4th of 5th trying I ripped something loose. Back muscles swelled up, clamped down on the nerve to my left arm, lost use of my left arm for about 6 weeks and then so swollen the muscles my neck was shoved out of position and put in traction to keep from shutting down whatever nerves that would cripple me.

64 years old now and I ain't trying ever change again.

Me is jus' messed up, but I seem to get by.

Comment

there's a geezer from the nashville area, who shall remain nameless, who was forced to go from left to right handed when his aiming eye deteriorated to the point that he couldn't shoot left-handed anymore. he's doing pretty well with it so far.

Comment

I have a little tip for y'all regarding vision. There ain't too many people that have eye problems I have/had, and after reading an article, and following thru on the article, my eyes have made an amazing recovery. My vision problems have been brepheritus (dry eyes), glaucoma (optic nerve damage), Lazik surgery, cataract surgery (both eyes), floaters, and now again astingmatism, plus they are 71yrs old. What has REALLY helped me, according to the article --- VITAMINS !!! I faithfully take the following vitamins every day: vision formula, beta carotine, lutein, and selenium. If I could afford it, and find it I would take copper. Since taking these vitamins, my floaters are gone, and I kinda got half-fast 20/20 vision with glasses with a lil' bit of squinting.

Comment

Originally posted by Elkhunter View Post
                  I have a little tip for y'all regarding vision. There ain't too many people that have eye problems I have/had, and after reading an article, and following thru on the article, my eyes have made an amazing recovery. My vision problems have been brepheritus (dry eyes), glaucoma (optic nerve damage), Lazik surgery, cataract surgery (both eyes), floaters, and now again astingmatism, plus they are 71yrs old. What has REALLY helped me, according to the article --- VITAMINS !!! I faithfully take the following vitamins every day: vision formula, beta carotine, lutein, and selenium. If I could afford it, and find it I would take copper. Since taking these vitamins, my floaters are gone, and I kinda got half-fast 20/20 vision with glasses with a lil' bit of squinting.
                  have you tried swallowing a penny?

Comment

Do we call that "a penny a day keeps the doctor away" ??? !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X